Kheer is a dessert made with animal milk and rice or sometimes some other grains. Kheer made with sago is also a very popular recipe.
Here to make it vegan I used soy milk and season's fresh mango chunks as a topping.
There are a lot of other plant milk options to make it vegan like coconut milk, almond milk or a blend of two or more but this time instead of making any plant milk at home I decided to buy from the market and there was only one option available i.e. soy milk.
I was not sure how it would taste as I was using soy milk the first time to make this recipe, but the outcome was amazing and loved by my kids too much. Making this recipe is also very easy and become ready in a maximum of one hour.
- Sago 1 cup
- Plant milk (Soy) 1 litre
- Sugar 1/2 cup or as per taste
- Mango or any seasonal fruit for topping
- Water as required
- Cook sago in about 1/2 litre of water on low to medium flame until sago becomes transparent. It could take about 1/2 an hour.
- Drain water
- Heat milk and bring it to a boil.
- Add sugar and cooked sago at this stage.
- Simmer for 10 minutes and add some water if required.
- Cooldown to room temperature and serve in a bowl or a glass.
- Use mango chunks as a topping.
It tastes amazing when Served chilled but due to the ongoing Covid pandemic, it is not recommended to have any cold drink or food so better consume it at room temperature or slightly warm. .