We shared some great words on @definitions this week. Our words of the week are:
Check out this video to practice listening and to hear how the words are pronounced with an American English accent.
Definitions and Example Sentences
Abasement (Noun) - Humiliation
- The entire village experienced abasement because of the dishonorable acts of one of its tribe members.
- The professor was not considerate of the students' feelings. He believed their debasement was well deserved.
Cower (Verb) - Pull back in fear; Shrink away from
- After the first punch, the boxer cowered in his corner of the ring.
- Brave men might still be afraid, but they do not run away from or cower from the enemy.
Nullify (Verb) - To counter or make unimportant
- The defense lawyer nullified the prosecutor's point with a great legal argument.
- The couple nullified their marriage because they were having intimate relationships with other people.
Labyrinth (Noun) - Maze
- The dense forest was a labyrinth of twisted branches and leaves.
- The game show contestant had to complete the labyrinth in under two minutes to receive the prize money.
Write the words of the week in one or more sentences. I will stop by to give you feedback on the sentences you write.
Thanks for stopping by!