In my previous posts, I shared some combination of vegetables and lentils like Spinach-lentil curry with chapati, a light and healthy meal! and Another popular lentil-veg combination: Split gram with bottle gourd.. This time I prepared Brinjal with Red lentils in our lunch with seasons fresh mango, salad and parantha.
Cooking lentils is one of the easiest and quick recipe so I try different combinations of vegetables and lentils.
Here is the recipe I want to share with you.
- Brinjal or Eggplant 1/2 kg
- Red lentils 1/2 cup
- Garlic about 10 buds
- Green chillis 2-3 nos
- Vegetable oil 1-2 tbsp
- Spices like turmeric powder, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, coriander powder, asafoetida, garam masala, red chilli powder, salt.
- Lemon juice 1 tbsp
- Green coriander leaves for garnishing.
- Wash lentils and brinjals thoroughly twice.
- Cut brinjals and keep them in the water to avoid turning them dark.
- Heat oil in a kadhai or pressure cooker (I used a pressure cooker here) and add all spices and crushed garlic and green chillis.
- Saute for a while then add brinjal and mix well cook for a couple of minutes.
- Cook for 10 minutes on low to medium flame.
Once it is ready garnish with chopped coriander and sprinkle lemon juice.
Serve hot with any bread or steamed rice.