Hello my Dearest Foodies,
The time is running out and I have so much more to bake, lol. This is only the first batch of cookies inspired by @proanima's delicious RASPBERRY HEARTS. She is such an inspiration when comes to traditional yet vegan baking, since I am a newbie in this field. I probably wouldn't even try, if my younger daughter would like raw desserts. I and my older daughter are perfectly happy with raw nutty desserts, but my younger daughter is not, lol.
But I know she will love these cookies; well she already does just by seeing the photo. And this is only the beginning of my baking adventure this Christmas season, so please stand by.
Before I go, I have say one more thing! I wish I could share with you the aroma, because it's incredibly tempting. I am having hard time preserving them until Christmas. Besides, know that they are better the next day, there for I suggest to wait, if you can 😂
Happy Christmas cookie making and all else you do this week 🎄😍🎄
CHRISTMAS STAR COOKIES
Spelt Linzer Cookies with Strawberry Chia Jam
Vegan – Refined Sugar Free - Guilt Free
• Whole grain spelt flour 1 ½ cup
• Almond meal ½ cup
• Vegan butter ½ cup cooled (I use Earth Balance)
• Xylitol/ birch sugar 1/2 cup (for the dough)
• Pure vanilla extract 1 tsp
• Himalayan pink salt ½ tsp
• Egg replacement for 1 egg (you can use flax meal 1tsp mixed with 3tsp water)
• Ice cold water 3 tbs
• Baking sheet
• Parchment paper
• Rolling pin
• Cookie cutters
•Prepare your egg replacement in a small dish and set aside.
• Place all the ingredients except water and egg replacement into a food processor and start pressing the pulse button.
• Continue full speed until it looks like breadcrumbs.
• Add the egg replacement and blend again.
Add 1 tbs ice cold water and blend again. Keep adding water and continue blending, until the dough does form a ball. Be careful, do not add too much water.
• Remove the dough and shape nice ball.
• Wrap it in a plastic and place it in a refrigerator for 30 minutes.
• When ready, line your baking sheet with parchment paper and line your working surface with parchment paper as well.
• You may divide the dough into two halves, it is easier to work with it that way.
• Apply some white flour on the surface (I use rice flour) to prevent from sticking.
• Start rolling and soon as you make the dough flat, apply another sheet of parchment paper on top and keep rolling until you get circle about 6” diam.
• Preheat the oven to 350F.
• Gently insert your cookie cutter on the edge of the dough, remove the rough edge and slide spatula underneath the cookie. Pull out gently, remove the cookie cutter and place on the baking sheet. Repeat until you have it all done. Make sure you count how many you have of each shape to make pairs.
• Bake for 8 to 10min.
•When ready, carefully transfer to a cookie rack and let it cool down for 15min.
• Apply jam in the centre of each cookie and combine.
• If you have lots of edge leftovers, combine them by using plastic wrap pressing them into a ball and repeating the process. Some cookie cutters like the starts I was using are not possible cutting out without leaving big space. But if you cutting out for example circles, than you will not have such an issue.
To store, keep them in a sealed container. If you have more than one layer, divide them with plastic warp. Also cover the top layer with plastic wrap. They do not need to be stored in the refrigerator.
STRAWBERRY CHIA JAM
• Fresh strawberries 1 cup
• Maple Syrup ¼ cup
• Chia 1tbs
• In a small pot, bring the maple syrup to a boil.
• Add strawberries and stir well.
• Reduce the heat and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
• Take it off the heat and let it cool down for 5 min.
• Transfer to a food processor and blend until smooth.
• Transfer to a bowl, add chia seeds and mix thoroughly.
• Cover with lid and place into a refrigerator overnight.
You may double the amount if you are making larger number of cookies.
THANK YOU FOR VISITING & BON APPETIT
FOR RECIPES PLEASE VISIT MY Lena's Vegan Living Blog