June 18, 2019: Facebook CEO, Mark ZuckerberG officially made an announcement about the Launch of LIBRA, Facebook’s cryptocurrency that they’ve been developing for more than a year. The rumors of the big move into cryptocurrency was started circulating last year when the social media giant began hiring crypto and blockchain-developers and executives.
LIBRA: What we know so far...
- Libra is registered in Geneva, Switzerland and will be launch in 2020.
- LIBRA: the digital asset or crypto currency built by Facebook.
- CALIBRA: the digital wallet of Libra that will be built into whatsApp, Messenger, and also an iOS and Android app.
- Libra Association: A list of independent businesses, academic institutions and not-for-profit organization that will govern Libra.
- Libra’s Mission: A simple global currency and financial infrastructure that empowers billions of people.
- The Facebook CEO states that it’s decentralized, any information the user share with Libra will be separate from the information you share on Facebook.
- Libra’s White Paper.
Why Did They Named It “LIBRA”?
The word libra is a Roman measurement of weight. The abbreviation lb for pound is derived from Libra, and the £ symbol originally comes from an ornate L in Libra.
Source: The Guardian
Libra is also a Sodiac sign and Mark Zackerberg’s rivals, the Windklevoss twins, also have there own digital currency exchange called, “GEMINI”. 😉
All contents are mine unless stated otherwise.