Hello, and welcome to my page!
A few days ago, I was able to get back to doing some work on my old pickup truck. I'm trying to clean up the frame on the truck so that I can paint it to slow down the surface rust on it. In my previous post about the truck I showed the process of taking the box off the frame so that I could get at the frame to clean it up. You can read about that at this link.
I had previously removed the spare tire carrier from the frame. That was mostly just a matter of removing the rusty bolts that held it on the frame.
There was one bracket on the driver's side of the frame that was riveted onto the frame instead of bolted on. I would have to cut the rivets to get that off the frame. I started out trying to cut the heads off the rivets with my air hammer tool, but I discovered that my compressor can't supply the volume of air necessary to run the air hammer for more than a couple of minutes at a time. It empties the tank on the compressor and then you have to wait while the compressor fills the tank back up to pressure. That made it necessary to use my cold chisel and a big hammer for a lot of the work of cutting the heads off the rivets.
This is the spare tire carrier bracket. This bracket had 2 rivets holding it onto the frame.
After cutting the rivet heads off, I punched the rivets out of the holes and the bracket came off the frame.
There was also the rear muffler hanger bracket to be removed from the frame. These brackets can be bolted back on after the cleaning and painting is done.
This is the muffler hanger on the passenger side of the truck frame. This bracket only had 1 rivet to cut the head off of.
And that bracket was removed.
After that, I decided to remove the rear frame cross-member. The cross member was almost rusted off on the driver's side of the frame and needs to be replaced. There are 3 rivets on each side that hold the cross-member onto the frame. These were a bit easier to cut because the heads are flat, making them easier to get under with the chisel. I also decided to use my angle grinder with a cut-off blade to help with removing the rivet heads.
The lower rivet on each side had to be cut with the chisel, there was now way to get to it with the angle grinder. Once I got those 2 rivets cut, I was able to pull the cross-member off the frame.
In this picture, you can see how rusted out the end of the cross-member was. The upper end of it was no longer attached to the rest of the cross-member.
That was most of what got done on the frame in that work session. When I get the next decent day to work on the truck, I'll start cleaning up the frame with the needle scaler attachment on the air hammer. I did a bit of work with it to see how it works, but I didn't get very far because I ran out of daylight. Having a garage would help a lot with this project, but since I don't have a garage, I'll just have to do the best that I can.
That's all I have for this post, thanks for stopping by to check it out!