Hello my Dearest Foodies,
Happy weekend to you all and happy THANKSGIVING CANADA and all Canadians here on Steemit. Yes, we are giving thanks much earlier than our friends in U.S. and for me that means having ready festive recipes from the begging of October until the end. Unfortunately, I will not be able to do any cooking after, because, as many of you know, in November I am going for carpal tunnel surgery, there for, I am taking break for the whole month.
Most impartially, I have enough time to make some more goodies until then and today I have for you this delicious and guilt free APPLE GALETTE recipe. Altough, it is little bit tricky to make it, because the dough is very delicate, you will be fine if you follow my instructions. It is truly well worth it!
RUSTIC APPLE GALETTE
Spelt Galette with Apples & Caramelized Pecans
Vegan – Refined Sugar Free
Author: Lena’s Vegan Living
• Whole grain spelt flour 1 ½ cup
• Vegan butter ½ cup cooled (I use Earth Balance)
• Xylitol/ birch sugar 1/2 cup (for the dough)
• Pure vanilla extract 1 tsp
• Himalayan pink salt ½ tsp
• Egg replacement for 1 egg (you can use flax meal 1tsp mixed with 3tsp watter)
• Ice cold water 3 tbs
• Apples 4 medium size
• Apple pie spice 3 tsp for apples
• Xylitol for apples 2 - 3 tbs (depends how sweet are your apples)
• Pecans ¼ cup (crushed and whole)
• Maple syrup 2tsp
• Baking sheet
• Parchment paper
• Rolling pin
•Wash and cut apples into quarters. Or you may peal them first if you don’t like the skin. I kept the skin for aesthetic reason. It looks better for the photoshoot.
• Remove the core of each quarter and slice thinly while discarding the edges. You can eat them or give them to your kids.
• Mix the slices with 2 -3 tbs Xylitol and apple spice in a bowl. Make sure all slices are covered evenly and set aside.
•Prepare your egg replacement in a small dish and set aside.
• Place all the ingredients except water and egg replacement into a food processor and start pressing the pulse button.
• Continue full speed until it looks like breadcrumbs.
• Add the egg replacement and blend again.
Add 1 tbs ice cold water and blend again. Keep adding water and continue blending, until the dough does form a ball. Be careful, do not add too much water.
• Remove the dough and shape nice ball.
• Wrap it in a plastic and place it in a refrigerator for 30 minutes.
• When ready, line your working surface with parchment paper and place the dough in the centre.
• Start rolling with rolling pin by adding little bit of flour to prevent from sticking.
• Apply another sheet on top and keep rolling until you create about 13inch diam circle; it doesn’t have to be perfect.
• Before you remove the parchment paper top layer, place the dough into a freezer for 1o min and remove the paper after.
• Preheat the oven to 400F.
• You may imprint a circle by using the frame of 9” spring form.
• Start applying your apple slices by creating circles, leaving 2inches from the edge; again, it doesn’t have to be perfect.
• When ready, fold over the edge by the help of the layer of parchment paper underneath.
• Place into oven and bake for 15min then reduce the heat to 350F and bake for another 30min.
• Let it cool for few minutes then top with caramelized pecans and serve. You may top with vegan ice cream if you like.
• Place crushed pecans and some whole pecans on heated pan.
• Add 2tsp of maple syrup, reduce the heat and stir thoroughly until they become sticky.
• Take it off the heat and set aside until ready to serve.
APPLE PIE SPICE
• Ground cinnamon 4tsp
• Ground nutmeg 1 ½ tsp
• Ground allspice ½ tsp
• Ground ginger 1tsp
• Ground cardamom 1 ½ tsp
Mix well and keep in a sealed jar.
You can also buy one that is already mixed.
THANK YOU FOR VISITING & BON APPETIT
FOR RECIPES PLEASE VISIT MY Lena's Vegan Living Blog