BASIC HALTER TOP
Warm greetings to my fellow needleworkers. I've been having somewhat of a creative block recently - if that's a thing. A lot of things have been happening that have made me distracted and kind of unmotivated to do anything needlework.
Has this ever happened to you? How did you overcome it? I'm trying to get my grind back, so I decided to start with a somewhat simple project that won't take much brain work to complete. Just something basic.
After much thinking I settled for a simple crop top. Although I wanted something simple I also wanted it not to be too plain😂 yeah I confuse myself sometimes. Anyway, I went with the houndstooth stitch and a mixture of about 10 colours.
Yes, mixing colours is not my best suit but I found a way to make it work. Basically instead of worrying about the whole combination of colors like I would usually do, I tried to focus on combining just 2 colors at a time and work it up from there.
That was the pattern I used in combining the colours, I hope I did a good job with it. The process of making this top is quite easy, it's more like your basic halter top. The only difference is I used houndstooth stitch and made that little triangle in the middle.
So I started by taking the measurement around my torso and making a chain that fit that measurement. Then I went back with 1 single crochet followed by a double crochet, till I got to the end of the row. The whole rule with this stitch is that if you start with a single crochet you must end with a double and vice versa.
I did 3 regular rows before I started my decrease. I did a decrease on both sides on every row. As I moved on I realized I may have started the decrease a little too early because the top ended up being shorter than I expected. However, it's a crop top so it doesn't really matter.
When I got to a point I started making the triangle. For that I started on one corner and when I got to the exact middle, I turned my project and started working back to the corner. In essence I was now focusing on just one side of the top.
While doing that I was decreasing once in every two rows in the middle and doing the regular every row decrease in the side of the top. When I was satisfied with the size of the triangle. I stopped and did the same thing on the other side. I would have loved for my triangle to be a bit bigger but I was already running out of stitches.
After that, I connected both sides with some chains in the middle and did a couple of rows still decreasing on both sides. With houndstooth there is always a lot of yarn hanging around, so I worked on the edges to give it a neat look and I was done with my top.
Here's the final look, I hope you like it.
Thanks for stopping by ❤️